Wednesday, July 06, 2011

The Good Shepherd

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want." Thus begins the 23rd Psalm, one of the most beloved passages in all the Bible. These words were written by King David, who was a mighty warrior, a prophet and a man after God's own heart. As a warrior, David killed the mighty Goliath and subdued all of the enemies of Israel. As a prophet, David spoke of the coming Messiah and even gave specific details regarding the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. But David's secret to success was his personal relationship with God. David viewed the Lord as his shepherd because he knew that God would always be there to love him, guide him, correct him and provide for him.

Today, we know that David's relationship with God was based on his relationship with the preincarnate Christ. Jesus Christ was in the beginning with God and was God (John 1:1-2). We know that David came to God through Jesus Christ because no one can come to the Father except through Jesus Christ (John 14:6).

Jesus Christ is the one mediator between God and man (I Timothy 2:5), and today He is speaking to all people everywhere, saying: I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. (John 10:11,27-28 NKJV).

Jim Roberts, Peace Church, Indiahoma, OK
http://www.ok-peacechurch.org

No comments: