Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Shortly after the Apostle Paul was saved on the road to Damascus, he went to Antioch of Syria where he ministered with Barnabas preaching the gospel of the grace of God. This message is succinctly expressed in I Corinthians 15.

1 Cor 15:3-4
3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, (NKJ)

Paul taught in Galatians 2 that people are saved by faith in Jesus Christ apart from the works of the law.

Gal 2:16
16 "knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. (NKJ)

However, Paul wrote this Epistle to the Galatians because some Jewish believers had come teaching that God requires compliance with the law of Moses for salvation. We see his stern warning to the people in chapter 1.

Gal 1:6-8
6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. (NKJ)

Paul said that his message of grace had been given to him as a direct revelation from God.

Gal 1:11-12
11 But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man.
12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ. (NKJ)

Paul had lived most of his life as a strict follower of the law of Moses.

Gal 1:13-14
13 For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it.
14 And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers. (NKJ)

When Paul met Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus, everything changed.

Gal 1:22-24
22 . . . I was unknown by face to the churches of Judea which were in Christ.
23 But they were hearing only, "He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith which he once tried to destroy."
24 And they glorified God in me. (NKJ)

Paul had experienced the joy of salvation by faith apart from the works of the law, and he dedicated his life to sharing that joy with others.

Write me at: jimjoan77@juno.com

Church links:
http://www.peacechurch-ok.org/
http://www.eleventhavenuechurch.com/
http://gracebiblechurch-fw.com/

No comments: