Thursday, May 15, 2003

Not long before the Lord Jesus was crucified, His friend, Lazarus, died. Jesus went to Bethany to comfort Mary and Martha, the sisters of Lazarus, and as the Lord arrived, Martha went out to greet Him. They had the following conversation:

John 11:21-26
21 Then Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died.
22 "But even now I know that whatever You ask of God, God will give You."
23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."
24 Martha said to Him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.
26 "And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?" (NKJ)

It is interesting that Martha was aware of the fact that the Old Testament scriptures teach that there is life after death. I have heard secular scholars say that the Old Testament says nothing about life after death. Although the resurrection of the dead is rarely talked about in the Old Testament, the fact of the resurrection is certainly taught. One of the most famous resurrection verses is found in one of Job’s discourses.

Job 19:25-27
25 I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.
26 And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God;
27 I myself will see him with my own eyes-- I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me! (NIV)

As you may recall, the subject of the resurrection was one of the hotly debated topics of Jesus’ day. The Sadducees said there would be no resurrection, while the Pharisees believed in the resurrection. Apparently, the Pharisees were more conservative and interpreted the scriptures more literally. Clearly, Martha had been given the benefit of exposure to a literal interpretation of the scriptures.

However, Martha is a good example to us all that we should never become complacent in our understanding of the scriptures in that, regardless of our understanding of the scriptures, we always have a lot to learn. In John 11, the Lord Jesus shared with Martha something that would not become general knowledge for another 20 years or so.

In verse 25, the Lord confirmed the resurrection of the dead, but in verse 26, He taught that there would be some believers who would never die. About twenty years later, the Apostle Paul taught the church at Corinth about the catching up of believers who would never die.

1 Cor 15:51-52
51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed--
52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. (NKJ)

The Apostle Paul hoped that he would be among those who would never die. All believers since the resurrection of Christ have been able to rejoice in the fact that they may be one of those who never taste of death.

Phil 3:20-21
20 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,
21 who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself. (NKJ)

Write me at: jimjoan77@juno.com

Other church links:
http://www.peacechurch-ok.org/
http://www.eleventhavenuechurch.com/
http://gracebiblechurch-fw.com/

James III’s link:
http://www.jeditime.blogspot.com

No comments: